This page describes basics of project manager and PMO and mentions difference between Project manager and PMO roles abd responsibilities.
The person responsible for the project management is referred as Project Manager. Stakeholders in the company gives authority to project manager to run the project and make him responsible for the project.
It is also known as program office, project office or program management office.
PMO can influence the project.
A PMO is an organizational unit to centralize and coordinates the management of projects
under its domain. PMO can receive delegated authority to:
• Take key decision maker during the initial stage of each project.
• Act as an integral stakeholder
• Make recommendations or terminate projects to keep business objectives consistent.
• Involve in selection management, re-deployment of shared project personnel or even dedicated project personnel wherever required.
Let us understand difference between roles and responsibilites of project manager and PMO.
|Project Manager Roles & Responsibilities||PMO Roles & Responsibilities|
|Aligned with strategic needs of the organization|
|Responsible for delivering specific project objectives within the constraints of the project||PMO is an organization structure with specific mandates that can include an enterprise perspective|
|Focus on specified project objectives||PMO manages major program scope changes and can view them as potential opportunities to better achieve business|
|Control the assigned project resources to best meet the project objectives||Optimizes the use of shared organizational resources across the projects|
|Manages the scope, schedule, cost and quality of the products of the work packages||Manages overall risks, overall opportunities,project interdependencies|
|Reports on project progress and other project specific information||Provides consolidated reporting and an enterprise view of projects under its preview|
• Difference between NPV and IRR
• Difference between Fixed Cost and Variable Cost
• Difference between ES,EF,LS,LF
• Difference between free float and total float
• Difference between PDM and AOA network diagram
• Difference between agile and scrum
• Difference between lean and adaptive software development